This week saw the long-awaited launch of the new Arts West building at the University of Melbourne, designed by ARM&Architectus, which now houses the newly co-located School of Historical & Philosophical Studies.
Part of the project has been construction of a new Digital Studio over two floors, due to open shortly. Dean Professor Mark Considine and Provost Professor Margaret Sheil did the honours at the official launch, and the Faculty had a walk through of some of the terrific new teaching spaces. We are excited at the potential of the new collaborative spaces—and the facilities and services that will coalesce there—in supporting a number of our digital history projects.
Drone footage of the new building shows the extraordinary façade featuring images of objects in the University’s cultural collections. Galvanised steel fins on the building’s exterior are engraved with the images, which include ‘Corroboree’ (c. 1890) by Tommy McRae.